Monday, June 9, 2014

Week One Complete

Hello Friends and Family :-)

So week one in Haiti is completed and things are going well.  I am learning my job quickly and I really am enjoying it.  You are definitely pushed a little out of your comfort zone here but that is a good thing.

So lets go over a few things.  First off this is the house where I am staying at while I am here:




It is quite comfortable and I am very grateful to be staying here.  My job while I am here is to take care of the guesthouses.  We have two of them and this is where our missions teams stay while they are here.We have two (Sometimes three) teams staying with us each week.  The team sizes average 12-16.  Sometimes a little bigger and sometimes a little smaller.  Here are some pics of the houses and the views.






It is hard to get a good pic of guesthouse two but the second photo is of the balcony.  Next the teams and myself travel in a Tap Tap.

The roads around here are not very vehicle friendly so things are always bumpy.  Not to mention Haitian driving can be a little scary.  I close my eyes often........we always manage to get where we are going safely.
The guesthouses are protected at night by a guard and the below dogs.  These guys are good friends of mine.
Bacon


Gracey


Bitsy

Princess (She has a bad wrap around here but I love her)

Gracey likes to sleep in weird places.....I will get a better picture soon.

This week I learned how to run our gift shop.  This is a fun part of the job for me.  I get to look for things to sell in the shop and this week I picked up the following crosses to sell.



I successfully went to the grocery store twice this week with just me and one of our Haitian Staff.  The first trip was difficult as the staff member that was with me did not understand anything I was saying.  But I managed to get everything on the list.  The pharmacy however I did not get what I thought I was getting.  O'well .......Luke is sending me a care package with one of the teams coming this week.

I took a few pictures of my new neighbors.  First is Harry.....he is the screaming goat next store.  Then we have Frank, the pig, he is new.  The other picture is of the neighborhood boys playing soccer next door.
Harry

Frank


So I will be learning the rest of my job this week. Elisa is leaving for the states Thursday so I will be on my own for a few days.  I am a little nervous but things have a way of working out around here.

Lastly I have to say I have an Amazing husband. Luke has been doing an awesome job back home and has been putting up with my daily calls for things I need sent down.  God gave me a good one.  My parents have been helping out with Paige and keeping her entertained during the day and I am very grateful for that as well.  She will be heading to camp this next Sunday......Super excited for her :-)  I miss them all.  Trying to get my Lovely Mother to come visit me ....... We will see how that goes......Love you Mom :-)

I will post again soon.

God Bless

Laura Hudak
Healing Haiti Guesthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment